The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 33 - 28 Chev Ute Restoration (9th August 2015)

I have been waiting till I had some significant progress to post, and pleased to say at 6.30 pm tonight when I closed the door on the garage, success!!



The chassis is prepped, de-rusted, and ready for the next stage, being the replacement of at least 2 if not all the cross members, one at a time.

The focus over the last week has been on the side rails, which have been wire brushed and "rust busted" to within an inch of their lives.

I am extremely happy with the result, there is a bit of pitting here and there, and a few welding repairs are required to a couple of wear spots, but overall considering the chassis is 87 years old, its not to bad.









The next stage is to fit a replacement rear cross member, then the front, and then probably replace the whole 4 cross members..

Having a perfect set from the donor chassis, which after a month in molasses came up like new, its actually an easier process to remove and replace rather than clean up, plus several rivets are loose anyway

This will also give me the piece of mind knowing there is no rust between the cross members.



No comments:

Post a Comment