The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

Day 65 - 28 Chev Ute Restoration (9th November 2015)

Today was about sorting out a good tailshaft, crown wheel and pinion.

The original ute crown wheel has been replaced at some stage, and with new carrier bearings will be very serviceable.


For the 3rd time in my 43 years working on 1928 Chevs, I will try my luck at using a mixed crown wheel and pinion, as the ute pinion has a chipped tooth.

As a 20 year old I was told by several old timers, that using a mixed crown wheel and pinion will either lap in, but most probably not, and will get progressively worse, turning into a howl.

I am prepared to try it again as I got away with it in 73 and 97 on the Red Chev, and if not I have a couple of new sets that can be put in.



I swapped a 29 tailshaft for this 28 with Steve from Bittern, which is in very good condition.

The pinion taper is ok as is the key way, sharp edges with no spreading.


The uni joint spline is very good with only the slightest hint of wear.



The tailshaft bush surface is very good, and with a new Billy Possum Tailshaft bush left over from the Red Chev 2007 restoration, all is well here also.


I am a big fan of Billy Possum, their parts are first class, and I have never had any dramas




The next few days should see the diff, torque tube housing and tail shaft become a combined unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment